Saturday, April 18, 2009

Fatgums' Favorites: LA Breakfast Spots

I love eating breakfast. I especially love eating breakfast at these coffee shops. I've been lucky to have lived in various neighborhoods throughout LA, each having it's own all star spot. So here they are, my favorite breakfast spots in LA:
Tak's Coffee Shop
3870 Crenshaw Blvd # 101
Los Angeles, CA 90008
(323) 295-0195‎

My partner Brandon Walker first introduced me to Tak's. Brandon was a fan, but it was his mom who was the true regular. The Walker household is right around the corner from Tak's, maybe 3 blocks away. Since he was a youngin, his mom would drag him there to eat. This probably helped mold Brandon's eclectic taste and overall open-minded perspective on life. See, Tak's has to be one of the only spots in LA where you might see an El Salvadorian waitress serving saimin and spam-musubi to an African American deacon! The menu is a mix of Hawaiian-style breakfast food (portuguese sausage, chashu, fried rice, etc.) and local Crenshaw fare (fried chicken, waffles, cornbread, etc.). The clientele reflects the diverse menu, ranging from grumpy old Japanese men in sweatsuits to suited and booted church folk from West Angeles Church of God in Christ. Make it there. I recommend the saimin and the chicken wings.

CJ's Cafe
5501 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90019
(323) 936-3216

This was Venise and my Mid-City breakfast spot when I lived on Hauser with ET, Roel, and Dallas. CJ's has to have the best fresh squeezed orange juice I've ever had. Venise would always get a cheeseburger and I'd get the corned beef hash and eggs. On nice days they set up sidewalk tables right on Pico. Plus, for all of the people watchers out there, if you are into multiethnic 20-30 year-olds who aren't too Hollywood yet better kempt than the average joe/jane, this is the spot to find them.

Tokyo 7-7
3839 Main St # B
Culver City, CA 90232
(310) 204-5728

Tokyo 7-7 is relatively new to me, but I feel more at home at this spot than at any of the others. The familiarity is provided by a team of small, elderly Japanese waitresses who all remind me of my grandma. Finding this place is pretty tough, but finding it for the first time makes it all the more special. The prices are hella good. You can get eggs, bacon/sausage, toast, and homefries for $2.35!

No comments:

Post a Comment